Friday, September 3, 2010

time considerations

Note to people considering this trip or something similiar: I've made my schedule too tight. I only have 2 weeks' vacation a year so it had to be so. The thought was that I would be able to confirm everything before I left. I heard back from Amanda today (her previous email had gotten lost, apparently, and as she's been prompt in responding 6 times before, I believe her). She won't perhaps be able to confirm until about 4 days before the safari is supposed to leave. The trouble with that is I'm on my trek then and have to check out of my hotel the morning after I return. Most people seem to book the shorter safaris when they arrive, much I did for my day trips in Cusco. It would have been better to have either 2 days in Arusha before the trek or a day after the trek to cover "emergencies" like this.

So now I'm scrambling. I did some more research and came up with Sunny Safaris which is a larger operation located in Arusha. They have an identical trip so emailed them for a quote and more information. I've also contacted Peter Tours, which I found through the Lonely Planet Forums.

Nothing like adrenalin to get you moving! I also posted a "looking for travel companions" note on TravBuddy.com, Lonely Planet and twitter.

I emailed Amanda back - she responded immediately - and here are my choices:
If we do not find anyone we can definitely organize a private safari just for yourself. This is however much more expensive as there is no one to help split up the costs. You're looking at USD$1900 for the 4 day safari [vs. my initial $590USD if jeep is full]

Let us know if you want to confirm the trip, even if, worst case scenario we do not find others. The other option is we keep looking, if not successful by the time you get to Arusha you can ask around there, then last case scenario we confirm a private safari just for yourself.


I think I'll stall for a few days to see what the other two companies have to say and then make a decision.