Thursday, September 16, 2010

Arusha

I am in Arusha on the slowest computer I have ever seen. Arrived around 11:30pm last night - toast. Bag came through - met some people in my group - 2 of them were not so lucky. Got some sleep on the plane - scored 3 seats in a row.

Sheila, you were asking how hard it was to meet people travelling as a single person. I picked a couple from The Netherlands this morning at breakfast and just asked them for advice. People tend to be very forthcoming.

The Outpost is basic but okay. (ie. There is a bed and hot water) Everyone was dropped off before me and I had to laugh. The first hotel was gorgeous, far from town, lovely landscaping, guests met with cold drink, you get the picture. Road horrendous. Then was a hotel a step down, another nice looking place but still far from town and the road bad. My hotel is about 15 min from town and the road was smooth.

I'm meeting Peter to pay my safari deposit shortly. I've locked up all my extra money, passport and ticket in the hotel safe which is a cupboard with a huge padlock. Then I'll likely head into town after lunch to change some money and buy some water. I am very thirsty - should have packed a large bottle in Amsterdam. Hopefully I'll be able to find an internet cafe with faster access so I can read my email and go thru the arduous security questions facebook asks when you travel to confirm your identity. It would take days on this computer.