Wednesday, September 1, 2010

how does this thing work?

Last night I picked up my friend Heather's ski pants and 2 litre platypus. Of course as soon as I got home, I wanted to test my new water system so I went to the sink and filled it with water. Some weird gauze stuff floated by inside - oops, that must have been part of the packaging. I shove it into my new knapsack to see if it fits properly in the provided pouch and it does and everything seems beautiful. Then I think I should see how the tube works because I've never used one before. I suck hard on the tube. I bite the tube. I hold the bag as high over my head as possible thinking maybe it's a gravity thing. Then I get my reading glasses and look at the instructions. I lift the valve to open it. Progress but still no water. I'm thinking how hard do I have to suck on this thing and at high altitude too? I'm about to cut a hole in the tube as I can't see where the water is to come out when suddenly I realize I've been sucking on the cap that covers the nozzle. Oi. Water flows freely.

What can I say? I'm hopelessly un-mechanical. And hey it does work now, which is the important thing. I'm going to properly test it this Saturday on a 17k hike.