Wednesday, September 15, 2010

leaving today

So here I am at 10am with just the last bits to shove into my knapsack, the floor to mop, clothes to change. I think I can manage "all" that in the next 3 1/2 hours! lol.

I slept through the night but woke at 4:30. Strange how even tho I am dead excited about this trip, I prolonged getting going and lay there for a while. I think it's because I am rather nervous now the day is finally here. I'll settle as soon as I get on the plane. It still feels a bit unreal.

A mad rush this morning though - to the Y to say bye to Bob who is running his first half marathon while I am away and to Euleen who was very reassuring. I also weighed myself as I heard a rumour one may lose up to 10 pounds on this trek! Then to the bank to take out cat sitting money and more money to change into US. An hour of panic when I could not find a second down mitt while packing. Much downloading of podcasts - TEDTalks, Moth stories and all the news - and recharging of camera batteries. Then cleaning - it's now okay to my standards at least. Bye to my elderly neighbours. The cats are all hiding except for Grace who is sleeping as per usual. I can't shake the feeling I've forgotten something.

I'm taking the ttc route to the airport - $3 instead of $60! - but will take a cab home as I predict I'll be all done in and anxious to get home.

Total travel time from Toronto Airport to Kilimanjaro Airport: 26 hours and 30 minutes. Total flying distance: 12,909 kms.