Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Amsterdam

Only have 26 minutes left on my internet access so typing as fast as I can. Flight booked solid - no sleep - biggest plane I've ever been on (3 seats, 4 seats, 3 seats). Enjoyed the company of two women from Kenya who said I would "be very welcome in Africa." Taking that as a good omen. Good food, free booze, personal screens. Forgot how my legs go crazy on long flights so spent time walking around while most slept.

Flight very fast - 6.5 hours. Landed early so entered the country so could have a smoke outside. :) Had my passport stamped going in and leaving which I thought very funny given it was all in the space of one hour! Glancing into the shops and seeing flowers for sale makes me think I will love this city. Also saw train station where I will go when I pass thru next time - great airport. Found grocery store in mall adjoining airport - bought bananas, a roll and a small pack of cheese. I am lost re the euro as my cheet sheets are in the bottom of my knapsack which is stuffed to the gills so have spent $20 on that!

Feel tired but ok considering it is about 3 am in Toronto. Leaving for Kilimanjaro in 2 hours. Gate changed - lucky I checked, but after missing a flight am now slightly paranoid.

Money belt a pain in the... now carrying three currencies, an interac card and 2 visas. Will be happy to unload some of it into the hotel safe and just deal with one currency.

Will update from Arusha, likely Friday.