Tuesday, October 12, 2010

thoughts

Climbing Kilimanjaro was all about reaching the summit. I have to say the scenery was not that interesting. There were some great expansive views but I found it terribly bland compared to the Inca Trail. I knew this going in, having watched the IMAX film Kilimanjaro 3 times (lol). And everything we did was to increase our chances of reaching the summit - the longer route, the acclimitization hike, the pole pole pace.

It felt good to feel a part of a group struggling toward the same end. We each had to get our own selves up there but we cared about how the others were coping. It reminded me of the Bike Rally in some respects.

I made good choices with the route, the length of time on the mountain and with the company - Team Kilimanjaro. I highly recommend people take 7 days rather than 5. Also it was very nice to go up one side and come down the other. It's more expensive to take a longer route but I think it helped my chances of reaching the summit. The time of year was also good.

My biggest problem ended up being the food. It seemed to be fine for everyone else but I have a sensitive tummy unaccustomed to a lot of fried food. For me, it was a struggle to get enough protein.

I am glad I did it. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be (doesn't everyone say this?) but that makes it more satisfying.