Tuesday, October 12, 2010

if I were to do it again...

1. I would take my own down jacket instead of renting one. The rented one was warm but huge and very bulky - it's possible I just got the wrong size.

2. I would take a lot more snacks. I packed a few Lara bars and sports gels but ran out. Sometimes there were long gaps between meals or I was hungry on the trail. The guides and porters also very much appreciate being offered some additional nibblies.

3. I would schedule a rest day after returning from the trek. It was good to have an extra day before heading out - to rest but also to have time to retrieve lost luggage (one in seven bags ends up coming in 24 hours later!). We skipped one night's sleep climbing Kili and never made it up. I was very tired on the safari.

4. I would take 2 t-shirts instead of just one. This, I think, was just a packing error on my part - I ran out of space and took some things out packing my trek bag 3-4 times. It is quite hot on days 1, 2 and 7.

5. I would take some hand-warmers/toe-warmers. My rented sleeping bag was good but 3-4 nights, my feet were cold. I tend to feel the cold in my fingers and toes as a rule. They were selling them at the gate and I regretted not buying them. They are hard to find in Toronto in summer!

6. Jury's still out on the need for gaiters. Our guide wore them every day. I had Jim's with me but thought I would only need them for the Saddle portion. By the end of Day 1, I was already filthy so there wasn't any point. If you do take them, wear them right from the beginning.

7. I also have mixed feelings about the duffle bag I chose. I am sure it was easier and more comfortable for the porters to carry but it was a bit of a nuisance every night. I had to dump most of the contents out and then repack everything. Something with pockets would have been more helpful.

8. I would have taken more US dollars in small bills. I think I took $50 in $5 and $1s. (I did take quite a few $50s and $100s but most of them went to the safari) I'll have to check how much we tipped but I did not have enough and had to put TZ schillings in - not sure if that was a problem or not.