Sunday, August 22, 2010

safari

I must admit I'm getting a little anxious about this portion of my trip. Amanda from African Scenic Safaris has been very prompt in responding to my emails but I have yet to place a deposit and am wondering what happens if she can't fill the jeep. I guess I am too embedded in the western way of trip planning - settle everything way ahead of time. She assures she can so I'll have to believe she can. But I'll also be emailing her again before I go to request some kind of confirmation as my hotel will be kicking me out on Saturday! I did check with an English woman who had travelled with them before and she gave them a very high recommendation.

Anyway, here is the itinerary for the 4 night safari. It's a bit of a rush, leaving the very next morning after returning from the trek.

Sat. Sept. 25 - Lake Manyara
This morning you will depart for Lake Manyara National Park. Spend the afternoon on a game drive of this park, described as one of the hidden gems of Tanzania. This park is famous for its tree climbing lions and large herds of elephant.
Overnight at Lake Manyara
(Apparently the tree-climbing lions have been more successfully spotted in Seregenti)

Sun. Sept. 26 - Serengeti
After breakfast drive to one of the most famous game parks in Africa, the Serengeti. Here is home to millions of wilderbeest during the migration and over the huge flat plains you are likely to find lion, cheetah, leopard, elephant, giraffe, zebra, hyena and many other small predators. All afternoon will be spent on game drive before enjoying dinner and the experience of sleeping in the middle of the Serengeti.
Overnight in Seronera (the centre of the Serengeti)

Mon. Sept. 27 - Serengeti/Ngorongoro Crater
An early morning start in the Serengeti to try and find cats before they retreat away from the blazing sun during the day. After a few hours game drive in the Serengeti drive to the Ngorongoro Crater.
Overnight camp at the rooftop of the crater, providing amazing views.

Tues. Sept. 28 - Ngorongoro Crater
This morning you will descend into the Ngorongoro Crater - a wonderful haven for wildlife. Ngorongoro is unique in that almost all the wildlife live within the crater walls hence you have the opportunity to find game easily. Rhino, in particular, can be seen regularly as well as prides of lion and other predators like cheetah. Enjoy lunch by the hippo pond before beginning your drive back to Arusha/Moshi. (Photo: William Warby)

(From another website: Called the eighth wonder of the world, Ngorongoro Crater is the world's largest unbroken and unflooded volcanic caldera in the Eastern (Great) Rift Valley, northern Tanzania, Africa. It lies 75 miles west of the town of Arusha. The crater measures between 10 and 12 miles across and has an area of 102 square miles. Its rim is heavily forested and rises 2,000 feet above the caldera’s floor to an elevation of 7,500 feet. It is included within a UNESCO World Heritage site designated in 1979.)

They will be dropping me off at Kilimanjaro airport for the overnight flight to Amsterdam via Dar es Salaam.

You know, a lot of people seem to want to witness a "kill" - I rather hope I do not. I will be quite content to just see a few lions, zebras and giraffes walking about and peacefully enjoy lunch by the hippo pond.