Friday, April 30, 2010

unique route

I did a lot of reading before deciding on a route up Kilimanjaro. There are 5 main routes, some more crowded than others (one is even called the Coca-Cola route as there are "stores" along the way!), some more scenic than others and one has huts instead of camping. I chose the Rongai route as it is the most remote (it takes up to 6 hours driving on bumpy roads to get to the beginning of the trek), has the best chance of seeing wildlife and is the only route that goes up the mountain one side and down another.

Henry Stedman, author of Kilimanjaro: Trekking Africa's Highest Mountain, and a few other companies have come up with a "Unique" Rongai Route that allows for better acclimization. I'm all for anything which helps my chances to reach the summit.

Of course the "Unique" part appeals to me too. It goes against my nature to do something everyone else is doing, lol.